Wednesday, May 19

Lessons From Sophomore Year

So last year I did a note on lessons I learned from Freshmen year. (Link >>> here)

Well, I decided it was time to do it again. So here goes.

1. Your REAL friends return for another year. You all might get busy and start to miss each other, but no one forgets about the other.
2. New friends come along, and if they belong, they just FIT. Meaning, you don't feel like you're forced to change for them.
3. Sophomore year comes and you start to see the snakes in the grass.
4. It's amusing watching freshmen learn the same lessons you learned.
5. Some people have never had to financially take care of themselves before. So they don't understand questions like "How much is your cell phone bill?" or statements like "I need gas money."
6. Declaring a major is hard because you have to start thinking about real life.
7. People are [STILL] there to help you. Just because you're not a freshmen anymore doesn't mean you won't still need someone to talk to you, to tutor you, to help you study, etc.
8. Even I, with all my flaws, has something to teach someone.
9. Mentoring is so amazing! And it's not just about what you can teach, but also what you can learn.
10. When people do wrong by you, the feeling that follows hurt is apathy.
11. There are still reasons left not to give up on the male species. There are some out there that are true gentlemen.
12. Dress for yourself. Because if you don't dress up, people got something to say. If you do dress up, people got all the questions in the world about where you going and who you dressing up for.
13. Good friends can support you, even if they don't understand.
14. Too much alcohol - food = bad idea.
15. The best birthdays are with good friends.
16.The world thinks that successful black women can't get married.
17. Sometimes, the people who look they're trying to be a part of the solution are the whole damn problem to begin with.
18. You get burned out on lower BD food before the first semester is over.
19. Nikki Giovanni is so real, I can understand why the FBI might have had her on a list.
20. Shihan is still fine, even though he is married with kids, and he cut his hair off.
21. Family Guy, after you get used to the humor, is your favoritest show to watch at two in the morning.
22. Pastor Kearney Thomas is HIGHlarious lmao. But also somewhat of an embarrassment.
23. Twitter brings drama that we haven't seen since the invention of the picture phone. (see video below for clarification)



24. The things your parents don't know about you grows and grows. But it's not so bad now because you're getting old enough to make choices like that.
25. Waking up is sometimes harder than just staying up.
26. Sometimes you have not because you ask not. So just ask.
27. Every new year in hip-hop and rap makes you wonder how people like Waka and Soulja boy are making all the money, and people like B.O.B. and Wale are struggling.
28. I look good with bangs

29. You have to learn to give yourself more credit for your accomplishments. Most people are so busy with their own lives that everyone doesn't always have time to stop and pat you on the back.
30. People who support you make time to help you cope.
31. A blender makes dull Friday nights so much better.
32. Hulu and Netflix gives your computer a whole new purpose.
33. God's grace and mercy is so real, even when you're too busy to believe it.
34. People read my blog! ♥
35. You just got to live your life the way that makes you happy. If you do that, don't let the other ish get too deep under your skin, and know that everything happens for a reason, you paint yourself a beautiful life.

I'm stopping at 35 this year. ♥ Thanks to everyone who has helped me learn this year and have been with me throughout the school year; I love you all:
Jacqui, Chavelle, Lamar, Ryadah, Jerrica, Riean, Twin BayBay, Liz, Ms. LaShawnda, J-Strong, Portia, Natalie, Teaire, my Mommy!, my Daddy! ..............and any other names I forgot, insert here _________!

Leave your comments and your lessons learned!
♥ Shay

8 comments:

Elle said...

Agree with them all, but REALLY agree with 12, 18, 23, 24 for sure!!!, 28 :), 31, 33, & 35.

SMDH at 16, 17, and 27

You make me want to do one of these!

Elle said...

btw, that Live Traffic Feed makes me want to not stalk you.....But don't worry, I will anyways =]

LNicoleFields said...

This was such a pleasure to read. You my dear have grown quite a bit since August 2009 and that's a beautiful vision. You are worth and capable of so much and I hope to be a witness to your continued journey over the next forever! You have been such a needed joy in my life, your spirit reminds me of why I am constantly exhausting myself day in and day out. So, I've learned from you this past year that wanting to do something isn't always enough. You have to then have the gusto to get up and do it. Love, peace and olive oil(hair grease is so yester year)! We also have great hair conversations and I'm going to get me some glycerine soon.

.:.Simply Shay.:. said...

lol! Thanx for commenting hun! I glad someone feels me on my lessons... it means I don't be making this ish up lol. And don't let the live traffic scare you. It's pretty detailed, but it doesn't give me your name or anything like that. And it's a very freeing thing to do!

.:.Simply Shay.:. said...

thank you ma'm!

I (think)I know who you are even if your name is Research Methods! lol. And thank you so much for just being there and being helpful. It's been so refreshing to find wiser person to look to for advice and guidance! I'll see you next week. :-)

PURRciZion said...

#13 = truth

#27 = LOL its so sad that it's true

My lesson of the year comes from TI:
"Life can change ya directions
Even when you ain't planned it
All you can do is handle it
The worst thing you could do is panic
Use it to your advantage
Avoid insanity manage to conquer every obstacle
Make impossible possible
Even when winnings illogical
Losing's still far from optional"
-T.I.

Unknown said...

36. Real friends still love you when you leave their name out! (although I wasn't even there, so let me quit :-P)

You pretty much summed up my sophomore year as well. It is probably the most socially defining, for those of us who can get past the freshman drama.

Rest up for Junior year. After the year of drama and the year of identity comes the year of straight up work. :) love you

.:.Simply Shay.:. said...

@Jessie

I don't think that people would ever think T.I. would be the place to find wisdom, but I totally support this. :-)

@Audrey

You know I still love you hun! And sorry I left your name out. How could I forget being curled up in your bed whining?

And don't make Junior year sound so... HARD. LOL