Monday, April 12

How Do They Do It? [#cosign]

Was talking to one of my god-sisters tonight, and we somehow brought up the poem "Sex Without Love" by Sharon Olds. This is one of those poems that led to interesting conversation my summer at SWP (shoutouts to Carleton!) and that I still cling to. Mainly because it's opening question is one that I really want to have answered. Some people are capable of seperating the physical from the emotional, or so it seems. How do they do it? Or even better, is it possible to have sex without love? And if it isn't possible, doesn't that mean that the people who think it possible are lying to themselves?

Check out the poem. It's one of my favs:

Sex Without Love by Sharon Olds

How do they do it, the ones who make love
without love? Beautiful as dancers,
gliding over each other like ice-skaters
over the ice, fingers hooked
inside each other's bodies, faces
red as steak, wine, wet as the
children at birth whose mothers are going to
give them away. How do they come to the
come to the come to the God come to the
still waters, and not love
the one who came there with them, light
rising slowly as steam off their joined
skin? These are the true religious,
the purists, the pros, the ones who will not
accept a false Messiah, love the
priest instead of the God. They do not
mistake the lover for their own pleasure,
they are like great runners: they know they are alone
with the road surface, the cold, the wind,
the fit of their shoes, their over-all cardio-
vascular health--just factors, like the partner
in the bed, and not the truth, which is the
single body alone in the universe
against its own best time.

Mhmz.... food for thought. What side of the fence do you sit on?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good question, and i can only answer for me and that answer is "NAW".
i have learned to be honest with my self as well as other people.
NO I CANNOT SEPERATE and the last time i tricked myself into thinking that i could was the most miserable time of my life.......so neva again shall i do that! i lets them know upfront you hit this, you stuck niggah!!!!!

.:.Simply Shay.:. said...

Bwahaha! I love you sis!

Yeaahhhh I'm pretty sure we originated from the same place so we on the same playing field. Though I don't know, lack of commitment and real relationships out her, I'm contemplating if not getting emotionally involved is the way to go....